Best Home Remedies For Getting Long Hair
Scalp Massage and Hot Oil Treatment
Massaging your scalp helps improve circulation and hence stimulates hair growth, and you only need to do it for about five minutes daily to see results. Just rub your fingers on your scalp in a circular motion, applying gentle pressure and kneading occasionally to open up the blood vessels and increase blood flow.
Massaging can also be combined with a hot oil treatment once or twice a week. Heat some coconut or olive oil in a microwave or a double-boiler. Heating it will help it penetrate the hair shaft easily and also reduce dandruff.
Put the hot oil on your hair and comb it through to ensure even distribution and reduce breakage during shampooing. Wear a plastic cap or wrap a warm towel around your head (use a hair dryer to heat the towel) and leave it on for at least half an hour before shampooing.
Another popular tip is to flip your hair upside down for two to four minutes daily.
Rosemary is an excellent herb for your hair. It promotes growth of long hair, strengthens the roots, and eliminates dandruff. The herb has antioxidant properties that boost hair growth. In addition, the sulfur and silica content in rosemary helps reverse hair loss.
Rosemary will help increase circulation to the scalp and unclog blocked hair follicles. Furthermore, it can help darken your hair.
- Mix two drops of rosemary essential oil in two tablespoons of a base oil such as olive, coconut, jojoba, almond or avocado oil. Apply it on your hair and massage the scalp. Leave it on for at least half an hour and then shampoo your hair as usual.
- You can also use rosemary water as a final hair rinse. To prepare it, steep two or three rosemary sprigs in two cups of hot water for about five minutes. If you have the dried form of the herb, boil a handful of it in water. Allow it to cool and then strain the infusion. Rinse your hair with it after shampooing.
You can use both these remedies several times a week.
Castor oil facilitates hair growth because it is rich in omega-9 fatty acids and vitamin E. The thick oil moisturizes your hair, adds volume, prevents frizzing, and also fights scalp infections.
- It is best to mix castor oil with an equal amount of a base oil to get a better consistency and enhance the benefits. Rub it on your scalp and massage. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes. Finally, rinse it out and shampoo your hair. If it is difficult to remove, use a clarifying shampoo.
- To make it more effective, mix four drops of rosemary essential oil in an ounce of castor oil and then use it on your hair and scalp.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folic acid, and other nutrients. Plus, they are loaded with antioxidants. In addition to hair growth, lemon juice promotes smooth, shiny, dandruff-free hair. When applied on the scalp, it stimulates circulation and hence prevents hair loss. Do not use lemon juice in excess though, as it can lighten your hair color over time.
- Mix one part lemon juice and two parts of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply it on your hair and scalp and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Wash it out and then shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
Fish oils are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that not only promote smooth, shiny hair, but also encourage healthy hair growth. Oftentimes, a deficiency of these fatty acids impedes hair growth.
Take fish oil supplements daily for at least a month. If you just cannot stand the smell of fish oils, consider taking flaxseed oil. You can also include flax seeds in your diet.
Coconut milk contains vitamins B, C, and E, as well as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, and numerous other nutrients. It nourishes your hair, promotes hair growth, and prevents hair loss. You can simply include fresh coconut milk in your diet, or try one of these remedies.
- Massage your scalp with coconut milk, leave it on for at least half an hour and then wash it out with lukewarm water. Do this two to four times a month.
- Apply a combination of one-quarter cup each of coconut milk, wheat germ oil, and aloe vera gel. All these ingredients encourage hair growth, and aloe vera contains an enzyme that decreases hair loss.
- Mix coconut milk with avocado pulp, olive oil, and a little honey to make a nourishing hair mask.
Besides these natural cures, diet plays an important role in healthy hair growth. So, enjoy fresh and nutritious foods in your diet, particularly green leafy vegetables and dairy products as protein and B vitamins are nourishing for your hair.
If you are experiencing hair problems due to a medical condition or medications, consult your doctor for proper treatment of the underlying cause.